Roveta (Rogheta's ancient name) was part of the Monteverdi's Abby possessions in the XII century, only to become soon after one of the feudal castles given in 1186 by the Emperor Henry VI to Volterra's Bishop Ildebrando Pannocchieschi.
In 1208 the council of Volterra bought Rogheta's land, but any further reference to the property terminates about the second half of the XIII century. However, since 1226 is reported to be on the site a church dedicated to S. Batholomew at least until 1321.
Still listed with no specific connotation in 1414 among other properties, the land is annexed to St. Ermete's church property towards the end of the XV century.
After that, once more for many years there are no specific news in the documents of the time, but through the structural changes made in the building -aimed to reinforce the walls, we can suppouse Rogheta to be used as a more military destination, such as a fort, rather than a religious one. Last secure references about Rogheta after 1414 are therefore as part of the Monterufoli's Estate, a property that belonged to the noble Maffei family of Volterra.
The architectural unit of Rogheta, developed following its ancient structure (consisting in the small church standing up till the XIII century) until by and by came to form the complex building of nowadays, presenting the structure of an 'L' shape where in the shorter wing is possible to trace the typical medieval stylistic elements.
Successively, the archietctural unit developed with strong external walls made of big squared stones roughly worked and placed one on the top of the other to comply to a more military destination. Much later, when agricultural use took over, Rogheta was added of stables and recovery for the animals.
The original body of the building was also fractioned in two disticted parts where it was possible to live, each developing on two floors. One of these parts was accessible from the ground floor through a beautiful medieval door placed on the back of the building; the other one was accessible by the monumental stares placed on the front and constituted by three flights.
The whole architectural unit included therefore rooms excavated in the stone under the building, a pigsty and some stables on the ground floor, store rooms and larder on the mezzanine floor and living quarters on the first floor and the watching tower.
The intervention for restoring Rogheta's building therefore took place only after a careful hystorical analysis. They were considered its origins and the following changes that turned the religious settlement into a military building and later on in a agricultural farm, only to fall into abandon after the second world war, a careless that brought the place almost to ruin.
Today, thanks to Francesco and his wife, Rogheta has come back to its original splendour with an enriched soul of its own that everyone will be able to feel when walking in its surroundings between past and present, a unique emotion.
Rogheta's reapairs have been conducted in order to restore the original function this place had in ancient times. Born to be a hermitage in 1200 ac, it is now a place where individuals and groups can find hospitality and space to experiment personal growth through a range of different approaches, from spiritual retreat to meditation, yoga, shamanism, body expression, music, and many others.
Here can take place trainings, courses, workshops both for professional or personal reasons that make good use of an unconditioned, open-minded environment surrounded by nature.